Emeritus at Hawthorne Inn at Hilton Head. Negligent, Incompetent, Dishonest

Oct 25, 2012
review #354251

EMERITUS AT HAWTHORNE INN AT HILTON HEAD...

opinions and/or observations of a family member of a resident recently moved from this facility.

(Legal disclaimer: Until, item by item, any of the following allegations are investigated and/or tried in a court of law, I will only say that what I titled above and what I am writing below are my personal opinions and/or observations and/or beliefs and have not yet proven or disproven.)

October 18, 2012

Our experiences with Emeritus at Hawthorne Inn at Hilton Head, SC

This afternoon, just before 5:00pm, I tried posting the following review on the company's Facebook page. The first time, it was removed in a few minutes. The next three times, it took just seconds to disappear. I feel as though it is fair to always receive "the other side of the story" so I am posting the same review here.

On appearances, this facility seems to an attractive place for you or your loved one to live. I am usually very discriminating and I was "sold" nevertheless. I believed the pitch (a very good one but, hey, how could the chairman of the company otherwise live in a $6 million + home?) and should have gotten EVERYTHING in writing...too late for that now...

I had to pull a loved one from this Emeritus facility, Emeritus At Hawthorne Inn at Hilton Head, after 100 days of discouragements such as pleading with them to properly administer my husband's medications and thinly veiled assurances such as an August 15 (Day 51) email reply from the director saying, "It will get better"!

Interestingly, after emailing the director of yet another medication error, I was told I may not communicate with the facility any longer by email because of "company policy". You can figure that out, I am sure. There's more on that...The record has been "corrected"...BUT the original was the correct one!

Rather than accuse in this brief, I can show you things which may astound you - even frighten you away from this facility quicker than the skeletons draped in black cloth and cobwebs which hung from their entranceway on Oct 1!

Unfortunately, it does not help to elevate your concerns with this company. Their legal team must "review" the resident's entire record before you receive copies. For some reason, some very revealing records which I know to have existed in my husband's chart have not been forwarded. A subsequent request to the Emeritus legal representative resulted only in repeatedly asking me which "missing" records I know exist. I sent an indexed report of every page I received with a request for any which the Corporate legal team still has which I do not but it, too, has gone without a reply. Maybe Emeritus at Hawthorne Inn at Hilton Head did not even forward the most damaging records to their Corporate legal team...I don't know...

I would like to show you more. Please contact me here and I will reply if you have found their tactics to be manipulative and/or greedy, their administration of medications sub-standard, your loved ones' records manipulated and/or contrived, if you think that their facility and/or corporate motivations are seriously flawed.... or, most importantly, if you are thinking of placing your loved one in a caring community in the Hilton Head area.

To be fair, there are a just a few wonderful women (oblivious to what's behind the closed doors) who are employed at this facility. For them, I've added a star (from one to two).

Signed, "Concerned for those still in an Emeritus facility"

***********

October 22, 2012

THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF EMERITUS AT HAWTHORNE INN AT HILTON HEAD CALLED THE POLICE TODAY AND REPORTED MY NEGATIVE REVIEWS ON THE INTERNET!.... AND I HAVE AN IMPOSTER POSING AS ME AND USING MY PHOTO TOO!

I NOW BELIEVE I CAN IDENTIFY THE IMPOSTER WHO IS USING MY PHOTO AND POSTING AS ME!!!!

I posted some negative reviews on the internet over the past few days about Emeritus at Hawthorne Inn at Hilton Head dba Hawthorne Inn Assisted Living Hilton Head. As I mentioned on Complaints Board, the "person" (previously unknown) whose comment appears just below my review is using my photo and my three sunames and lives in multiple states including Hawaii. Maybe this "person" wanted me to think they were clever by posting this but I was never trying to hide my identity - If I wanted to be anonymous, I am much smarter than that.

I moved (Praise God!) my dear, 88 year old husband from Emeritus at Hawthorne Inn at Hilton Head dba Hawthorne Inn Assisted Living Hilton Head and placed him in the Carolina House Assisted Living in Hilton Head, a place WORLDS above the Hawthorne Inn in every way. His health is being restored, thankfully, and he is SO much happier being treated with the dignity he so much deserves. No longer being overdosed with diuretics (that he was while at Hawthorne Inn is a FACT) and is finally getting his prescribed Metamucil, he is no longer dehydrated and is MUCH more comfortable as well. But that's just the beginning of what I have to say on "medication errors".

Well...while dining this evening with my husband in the dining room where he now resides, a DEPUTY SHERIFF interrupted my meal to serve me a No Trespassing notice, signed by the "Executive Director" of Emeritus at Hawthorne Inn at Hilton Head! I was informed if I EVER came upon Emeritus at Hawthorne Inn at Hilton Head property, I WILL BE ARRESTED!!!! The deputy heard my side as well and was sympathetic and encouraging - I know he was just doing his job..nice guy.

Here's the Ah Ha moment though...Can you guess what my name was at the top of the page? Yup! It had my first name and ALL THREE SURNAMES!!!! There's only one place I have used all three names EVER and I posted a complaint about Emeritus at Hawthorne Inn at Hilton Head with it! And...nope, nowhere on any of the facility documents did I ever use any but the last one!

So, like I said, Emeritus at Hawthorne Inn at Hilton Head, rather than try to retaliate for my trying to provide potential residents and their families with my opinions, beliefs and observations of negligence at your faciltity, I think it would be a much better use of your time learning about proper medication application, proper documentation, the wrongs of subtracting potentially damaging documents from a resident's chart, not creating false documents, and following the residents care plans (done VERY poorly in my husband's 100 days there). Maybe there's another resident there, like my husband was, who is lying in a urine SOAKED diaper, pants, shirts, blanket and sheets to whom you can attend? Or maybe you can use your time better by actually GIVING the medications that you're initialling as having been given? Or...Or...Etc.

The deputy heard their complaints about my negative reviews on the internet but could care less about them, agreeing I have a right to express my opinion. This "person" also has a right to stoop so low as to use my identity and photo to post online as me! Oh well, I guess that's Emeritus at Hawthorne Inn at Hilton Head dba Hawthorne Inn Assisted Living Hilton Head's way of revenge. No problem though, it's been a very good "talking point"! The directors of Emeritus at Hawthorne Inn at Hilton Head are just embarrassing themselves and showing us all how they react to someone bringing their negligence to light. Also, how they utilize their time...

The saddest of all, though - I actually cried when the deputy told me this - is this: I became very, very fond of the two Emeritus at Hawthorne Inn at Hilton Head residents with whom my husband sat in the dreary and impersonable "dining room". I so enjoyed visiting with them in their rooms, exchanging hugs and laughs, and they cared for my husband and for me. I promised I would continue to visit them and I have. In fact, just yesterday I came by to give them hugs and little Thanksgiving trinkets.

Well, the "Executive Director" told the deputy that she has signed affidavits from my Emeritus at Hawthorne Inn at Hilton Head dba Hawthorne Inn Assisted Living Hilton Head friends, saying that they no longer want me to visit them! Emeritus posted on their Corporate Facebook page that the residents "at the community do not feel safe from (sic)" me. I am absolutely appalled at how low they will stoop! I am in disbelief that those two precious individuals would have signed such a document without some kind of sadly manipulative tactic. When I was asked by a resident why I was moving my husband, I did tell the truth - that it was because of the multitude of medication errors in my husband's regard. It is not me of whom the residents should be afraid!

I had been patient and respectful and most often very friendly to the entire staff.

That is, except for the "Resident Care" director for whom I lost all repect. I am sure his family loves him but I have never believed he was capable - I have record of some very revealing staff comments relative to this. Any possible repect for him waned as he smirked, insulted me, and continued to bounce blame off onto others. One time, with forced pleasantry, I brought up black mold in my husband's urinal, *** in his bathroom, and a 2 1/2 week long problem which was in DIRECT VIOLATION of SCDHEC, the licensing agency for SC Assisted Living facilities. His response was, "I don't know why we stay full here, with all of your complaints." The Executive Director did, however, resolve the DHEC violation within a couple of hours of my emailing her the relative quote of DHEC regulations. I wrote her a note of encouragement and thanks because the 2 1/2 week problem was potentially hazardous for all the residents.

So, I have been told now that "the entire staff is deathly afraid of" me" by the Executive Director. Many of staff were very kind when I visited my friends and some actually went out of their way to say hello. My guess is the ones involved in the errors and subsequent "damage control" are the ones that are afraid. If I were any of them, I think I would be as well. Or, maybe, the staff is being manipulated like my friends I am no longer allowed to visit? They certainly didn't look or act "deathly afraid". When truth is on our side, we have no reason to fear.

Unfortunately, The Executive Director told me early on that their facility, Emeritus at Hawthorne Inn at Hilton Head, did not have other residents with family members who knew as much as I did about their loved one's care. I believe she was trying to compliment me but my jaw figuratively dropped. How sad! Yes, I did manage my husband's medical office for seven years so I do know a few things. But, it only takes LOTS attention and a good dose of common sense to see what's behind their facade.

Some general advice: WATCH THE MEDS!!! COUNT THEM!!!! MATCH THE NUMBER OF PILLS SUBMITTED TO THEM WITH HOW MANY SETS OF INITIALS ARE ON THE MEDICATION APPLICATION RECORDS!!!! GET COPIES OF YOUR LOVED ONE'S RECORDS PERIODICALLY AND KEEP THEM (SOME MAY CHANGE SO IT'S A VERY GOOD IDEA TO KEEP COPIES OF ORIGINALS). I am doing this with Carolina House and they don't mind one bit...that should tell you something!

If you are looking for an assisted-living facility in the Hilton Head area for yourself or for a loved one, and if you care to receive more information before determining what facility you choose, you can now easily locate me by using the information provided by my imposter!

aae83ee
Had an experience with Emeritus?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
RO7068

Jan 08

Hi, I have to tell you that the exact thing happened to me. Someone has posted some terrible things as comments to my post and is trying to impersonate me as well. Some very sick people in the world!!! You can see them all - I think I'm post #18. They are a terrible place and obviously have some terrible people working there.

0 0 Reply

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Emeritus.
Filing a new complaint about
×